REMINDER - ICTP BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR - Friday, 1 June at 14:30/CAROLINA ARAUJO

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Thu May 31 11:58:05 CEST 2018

BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR SERIES   2018

/
///Friday 1 June at 14.30 hrs.

Carolina Araujo  (IMPA)

Title: The Geometry of Tensors

Abstract:
Tensors are fundamental objects in multilinear algebra, with important
applications to the complexity of matrix multiplication, signal
processing, phylogenetics and algebraic statistics. In applications, one
generally looks for minimal decomposition of tensors as linear
combinations of undecomposable tensors. The smallest integer r needed to
write a tensor T as a linear combination of r undecomposable tensors is
called the rank of T. Determining the rank of a tensor is a problem that
has received much attention in recent years, and has a nice geometric
interpretation.
In this talk I will explain some applications of tensors decomposition
and interpret the problem from the point of view of algebraic geometry.
In particular, I will present new results about ranks of tensors, in
collaboration with Alex Massarenti and Rick Rischter.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, 1st floor)