Seminar @ DF-TS - Tue May 15th 2:30 pm - A. Vinante

Rosita Glavina - Dip. Fisica UniTS Rosita.Glavina at ts.infn.it
Fri May 11 10:32:34 CEST 2018

We are pleased to announce the next seminar @ DF-Theory Section UniTs:

Andrea Vinante
University Southampton, UK

"Experimental test of collapse models and gravity-induced decoherence
with mechanical systems"

Tuesday, May 15th 2018 - 2:30 pm
Room 204, Leonardo Building, Strada Costiera, 11

ABSTRACT:
A breakdown of the quantum superposition principle at macroscopic scale,
possibly induced by gravity, would allow to solve at the same time the
quantum measurement problem and the apparent contradiction between
quantum mechanics and gravity. This possibility is mathematically described
by collapse models, which predict well defined departures from standard
quantum theory.
I will discuss recent experimental progress in testing these predictions,
focusing in particular on violations of energy conservation, which manifest
as an universal force noise acting on mechanical systems. First notable
results are a partial exclusion of the CSL model parameters proposed
by Adler and a full exclusion of an early model based on quantum gravity
arguments. I will discuss some recent ideas towards further improvements.

The flyer can be downloaded at http://df.units.it/it/eventi/23588