REMINDER two ICTP Mathematics Seminars this week

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Mar 26 09:12:26 CEST 2018

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2018

1) Wednesday 28, March, at 14.00 hrs.

Riccardo Scala (University of Lisbon)

Title:
Some recent progress on the relaxation of the area functional

Abstract:
We introduce the area functional, namely the map which evaluates the
area of the graph of a given C^1 vector valued function u defined on a
open domain on R^n. We discuss the problem of relaxation of the area
functional and recall some important properties. Then we consider the
problem of triple junction points, in the presence of which the area
functional shows nonlocal behaviour. The problem of evaluating the area
functional on such maps is related to a problem of minimal surfaces
whose solution passes by application of geometric analysis tools.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)

***

2) Thursday 29, March, at 14.00 hrs.

Javad Asadollahi (University of Isfahan and IPM-Isfahan, Iran)

Title:
Relative Auslander's Formula

Abstract:
Auslander's formula suggests that for studying an abelian category, one
may study the category of finitely presented additive functors on it,
that has nicer homological properties than the category itself, and then
translate the results back to the original category. According to H.
Lenzing, a considerable part of Auslander's work on the representation
theory of finite dimensional, or more general artin, algebras can be
connected to this formula.

In this talk, we first recall the Auslander's proof of the formula and
then introduce and study a relative version of it. As application, some
connections between the Morita equivalences of the endomorphism algebras
of generators and the Morita equivalences of the original algebras will
be provided.

The talk is based on a joint work with R. Hafezi and M. H. Keshavarz.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)