QLS guest Seminar - Friday 23 March

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Mar 20 15:10:52 CET 2018

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES  GUEST SEMINAR

Friday, 23 March 2018 at 11:00,
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building

Speaker: Daniel M. Busiello - Dip. Fisica e Astronomia "Galileo Galilei"
-  Universita' degli Studi di Padova

Title: Entropy Production in Non-equilibrium Systems

Abstract:
Systems out of equilibrium are characterized by a continuous exchange of
energy and matter with the environment through different mechanisms,
thus producing entropy at the macroscopic level. We study the entropy
production of a discrete-state system with random transition rates and
the injection of an external probability current. At stationarity, the
entropy production is shown to be composed by two contributions whose
exact distributions are evaluated in the large system size limit and
close to equilibrium. The first one is related to a generalized Joule's
law, while the second contribution has a Gaussian universal distribution
which depends just on two topological parameters. In the second part of
the talk we compare the entropy production of a Master Equation system
with the one of the corresponding continuum limit, i.e. a Fokker-Planck
equation. We demonstrate that the Seifert's formula for the entropy
production provides just a lower bound for the exact entropy production.
In fact, this formula ought to be corrected keeping into account
information about the microscopic transition rates, and this correction
survives in the continuum limit. This effect of the coarse-graining has
shown to be glaring in the simple example of a n-step random walk. The
difference between discrete-state systems and continuous systems in
evaluating the entropy production has been addressed also in comparing
non-equilibrium steady states, NESS, and stochastic pumping, SP. We show
that the entropy production of a system with SP is greater than the one
produced by a system in a NESS, generating the same (time-averaged)
probability current and exhibiting the same (time-averaged) probability
distribution.

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8557/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail: qls at ictp.it