SP Seminar @ICTP Stasi Tuesday 3 July at 11am - Paolo ZANARDI

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Jun 28 16:15:54 CEST 2018

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

Tuesday 3 July at 11:00 a.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, Leonardo Building

Speaker:
Paolo ZANARDI (Dept. of Physics & Astronomy and Center
for Quantum Information Science & Technology, University
of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA)

Title:
Coherence Generating Power of Quantum Processes

Abstract:

Given a maximal orthogonal resolution of the identity B in the Hilbert
space

of a quantum system we define a measure of the coherence generating power

of a unital operation with respect to B. This measure is the average
coherence

generated by the operation acting on an input  ensemble of B-diagonal
states.

We give its explicit analytical form in any dimension andprovide an
operational

protocol to directly detect it. We characterize the set of unitaries
with maximal

coherence generating power and study the properties of our measure when the

unitary is drawn at random from the Haar distribution. I will conclude
by establishing

a connection between this formalism and the Hilbert-Schmidt geometry of
maximal

abelian algebras of operators and its application to eigenstate phase
transitions in

interacting quantum systems e.g., many-body localization.