QLS guest seminar - Friday, 29 June at 11h00

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Jun 26 10:28:47 CEST 2018

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR

Friday, 29 June 2018 at 11:00,
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, via Beirut 2

Speaker: Giulio Facchini, IRPHE Marseille

Title:  Stability and organisation in macroscopic systems

Abstract:
Macroscopic systems are often endowed with a large number of different
scales and features. While controlling one single system often demands
to properly describe all its complexity, different systems can express
similar behaviours which are scale-invariant and depend on a minimal set
of parameters.
The last two features allow to reproduce these phenomena at the
laboratory scale and describe them with a minimal analytical model, thus
characterising the observed phenomena in a very general way.

Following this approach I focus on the stability of different
macroscopic systems, from the human scale (suitcases and bikes), to the
geophysical (vortices and currents in the ocean) and astrophysical
scales (accretion disks).
I show that in all these systems the macroscopic behaviour relies on
the balance or inbalance between few parameters.
Also, depending on the relative importance of these parameters, these
systems can show the appearing of longevous and well organised patterns.

Finally I introduce a new project which focuses on the complex structure
of the arboreal nests built by Nasute termites. I aim to characterise
these objects using the same minimal approach than before while facing
the additional biological aspects. I will try to answer three connected
questions: what are the biological functions of the macroscopic
structure, how it is built by many simply interacting agents, and at
which extent these two elements are related to the form of the nest.

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8615/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail:qls at ictp.it