QLS Seminar: Thursday, 5 July at 11h00

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Jul 3 09:09:57 CEST 2018

*QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES SEMINAR**
**
Thursday**, 5 July 2018 at 11:00,**
*ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, via Beirut 2*
*

*Speaker*:  Mahesh M. Bandi, OIST, Okinawa, Japan & QLS Staff Associate

*Title*:  Hydrodynamic signatures of stationary Marangoni-driven
surfactant transport

*Abstract*:
Surfactant spreading at air-water interfaces is driven by flow setup by
surface tension gradients (Marangoni stress) established by the
surfactants themselves. We experimentally probe the nature of steady
surfactant transport on the interface when the resulting flow is
strongest in a thin boundary layer near the interface. In particular, we
present three experimental hydrodynamic signatures to distinguish
between two limiting cases, viz. adsorption versus dissolution dominated
transport, without invoking the surfactant's physico-chemical
properties. In a region much larger than the surfactant source, but much
smaller than the interfacial area, the steady-state fluid velocity
assumes a self-similar form whose magnitude decays as a power-law with
the distance from the source. We experimentally demonstrate that this
power-law possesses an exponent -3/5 in adsorption and -1 in dissolution
dominated flow. Explicit measurement of boundary layer and shear stress
provide additional hydrodynamic signatures of surfactant transport
mechanisms in the two limiting cases. We test this criterion against two
known surfactants, Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate and Tergitol 15-S-9, and apply
the results to camphoric acid, with unknown surface properties.

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8611/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail: qls at ictp.it