REMINDER - ICTP Mathematics Seminar TOMORROW - Tuesday 23, January, at 14:00 (Karen CORRALES ESCALONA)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Jan 22 09:12:29 CET 2018

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2018

Tuesday 23, January, at 14.00 hrs.

Karen Corrales Escalona (ICTP)

Title: Singularities of mean curvature flow and surgery

Abstract: Let γ : M × [0.T ) → Rn+1 be a family of smooth immersions of
an n−dimensional manifold M evolving by mean curvature flow. When M is
compact, it is well known that the mean curvature flow is defined up to
a finite singular time T at which the curvature of the hypersurface
becomes unbounded. For instance, if the initial surface is convex, the
evolving surfaces become spherical and contract to a point. On the other
hand, if the initial surface is not convex, the evolution may become
singular without shrinking. The study of singularities for the mean
curvature flow is of great interest but, also in the last decades
several methods have been developed to continue the flow beyond the
first singular time. Huisken and Sinestrari considered a new approach
based on a surgery procedure to extend the mean curvature flow after
singularities. This construction was inspired by a procedure originally
introduced by Hamilton for the Ricci flow which played a fundamental
role in the work by Perelman to prove the Poincaré and Geometrization
conjectures. The results about singularities and surgery for the mean
curvature flow were obtained for manifolds of codimension 1. In this
case the comparison principle is fundamental which, among others things,
ensures that the embeddedness is preserved. In contrast, the comparison
principle cannot be applied for higher codimension manifolds making more
difficult the study of such evolution. In this talk I will introduce the
types of singularities as well as the procedure of surgery for mean
curvature flow. We are going to discuss some new results concerning the
simplest case in higher codimension, space curves.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)

http://indico.ictp.it/event/8482/