CMSP Seminar Series @ICTP Stasi Room Thursday 18 Jan. 10:00- P. FROMHOLZ

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Jan 16 11:07:33 CET 2018

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics

NOTE UNUSUAL TIME - 10:00 a.m.!!!!
============================

Thursday 18 January at 10:00 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

Speaker:
Pierre FROMHOLZ (Dept. de Physique, Univ.de Cergy-Pontoise, France)

Title:
"Haldane" Phases with Ultracold Fermionic Atoms in Double-Well Optical
Lattices

Abstract:
We propose to realize one-dimensional topological phases protected by
SU(N) symmetry using alkali or alkaline-earth atoms loaded into a
bichromatic optical lattice. We derive a realistic model for this system
and investigate it theoretically. Depending on the parity of N, two
different classes of symmetry-protected topological (SPT) phases are
stabilized at half-filling for physical parameters of the model. For
even N, the celebrated spin-1 Haldane phase and its generalization to
SU(N) are obtained with no local symmetry breaking. In stark contrast,
at least for N=3, a new class of SPT phases, dubbed chiral Haldane
phases, that spontaneously break inversion symmetry, emerge with a
two-fold ground-state degeneracy. The latter ground states with
open-boundary conditions are characterized by different left and right
boundary spins which are related by conjugation. Our results show that
topological phases are within close reach of the latest experiments on
cold fermions in optical lattices.

arXiv:1709.10409 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.10409>