Fwd: SP Seminar @ICTP Stasi Room Tuesday 16 January at 11 am Zlatko PAPIC

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Jan 16 09:06:40 CET 2018

reminder - TODAY

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

Tuesday 16 January at 11:00 a.m.
ICTP, Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, Leonardo building

Speaker:
Zlatko PAPIC

Title:
Quantum Many-body Scars and Non-Ergodic Dynamics in the Fibonacci Chain

Abstract:
Recent experiments on large chains of Rydberg atoms [H. Bernien et al.,
arXiv:1707.04344] have demonstrated the possibility of realizing 1D
systems with locally constrained Hilbert spaces, along with some
surprising signatures of non-ergodic dynamics, such as persistent
oscillations following a quench from the Neel product state. I will
argue that this phenomenon is a manifestation of a "quantum many-body
scar", i.e., a concentration of extensively many eigenstates of the
system around special many-body states. The special
states are analogs of unstable classical periodic orbits in the
single-particle quantum scars. I will present a model based on a
single particle hopping on the Hilbert space graph, which quantitatively
captures the scarred wave functions up to large systems of 32 atoms.
These results suggest that scarred many-body bands give rise to a new
universality class of quantum dynamics, which opens up opportunities
for creating and manipulating novel states with long-lived coherence
in systems that are now amenable to experimental study.