REMINDER - ICTP Mathematics Seminars this week

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Feb 27 15:09:40 CET 2018

1) *BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR
*
Tomorrow *Wednesday 28 February at 16:00*

Ramy Brustein (Ben-Gurion University)

Title:
Gravitational waves as predicted by Einstein: signals from black holes
collisions in the distant universe

Abstract:
Einstein predicted that gravitational waves exist when he discovered the
theory of general relativity more than a century ago. Einstein, however,
never believed that it would be possible to detect such waves and he did
not believe that black holes exist.  Yet, the last Nobel Prize in
physics was awarded for the detection of gravitational waves from
colliding black holes.  I will explain how such waves are generated in
black hole mergers, how they were detected against all odds by using
laser interference technology and what they could teach us about
gravity, black holes and the universe.

VENUE:  Budinich Lecture Hall (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building)

***

2) *M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R

Thursday 1 March at 14.00

* Edgar Tchoundja
(University of Yaoundé I)

Title:
Carleson measure Problem for Hardy spaces on tube domains over symmetric
cones

The abstract of this seminar is available at
http://indico.ictp.it/event/8512/

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)