ICTP Joint MATH-QLS- SEMINAR - Tuesday 27 February, at 14:00 - VENUE: Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, via Beirut

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Thu Feb 22 11:01:23 CET 2018

Joint  MATH-QLS  SEMINARS 2018

Tuesday, 27 February, at 14:00 hrs.

Speaker: Jean Barbier (EPFL, Lausanne)

Title: A simple tool for complex problems: The adaptive interpolation
method for the Wigner spiked model

Abstract:  There has been much progress recently in proving
single-letter formulas for the mutual information (or " free energy ")
in high-dimensional estimation and learning problems. Computing the
mutual information is important in order to locate the various " phase
transitions " occurring in such problems when the noise increases or the
data becomes too scarce. It is also key in computing various optimal
achievable errors. Unfortunately all existing methods are highly
involved, difficult to generalize and restricted in their applicability.

In this talk I'll present a new method, called " adaptive interpolation
method ", that eliminates these barriers all at once: It is much
simpler, very generic and able to tackle problems that were resisting
until now. I will illustrate the method on a paradigmatic model of
high-dimensional estimation, namely the " Wigner spiked model " (or "
low-rank matrix factorization ").

I will also briefly review some models that are now under full rigorous
control thanks to this approach, as well as very recent extensions to
physics models such as the " ferromagnetic p-spin model on sparse random
graphs ", an open problem for decades for reasons that I'll mention.

VENUE:  Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, via Beirut