REMINDER - two mathematics seminars this week - STASI Seminar Room

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Feb 12 09:01:34 CET 2018

*1) **Tuesday 13 February, at 16.00 hrs.*

Tiarlos Nogueira
(Universidade Federal de Alagoas)

Title:
Capacity estimates and rigidity of domains with corners

Abstract:
Estimates in geometric terms of the capacity  of compact sets are of
great interesting and appears naturally both in Geometry and Physics
(e.g., in electrostatic and physical descriptions of flows where Laplace
equations is used).
I will discuss about capacity inequalities involving the total mean
curvature of hypersurfaces with boundary in convex cones and the mass of
asymptotically flat manifolds with non-compact boundary.
In fact, I will present analogous of Pölia-Szegö, Alexandrov-Fenchel and
Penrose type inequalities in this setting.
_

__VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room  (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)_

*2) **Thursday 15 February, at 14.00 hrs.*

Leandro Pessoa  (Universidade Federal do Piauí)

Title:
On the Dirichlet Parabolicity and the L¹-Liouville Property

Abstract:
In this talk we will discuss on the L¹-Liouville property for positive,
superharmonic functions by providing many evidences that its validity
relies on geometric conditions localized on large enough portions of the
space. By the way, we present some examples in any dimension showing
that the L¹-Liouville property is strictly weaker than the stochastic
completeness of the manifold. The main tool in our investigations is
represented by the potential theory of a manifold with boundary subject
to Dirichlet boundary conditions.

This is a joint work with Professors Stefano Pigola and Alberto G. Setti
(Università degli Studi dell'Insubria – Italia)

_
__VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)_