Seminars @ DF-TS - 6-8 Feb at 3 pm - A. Tilloy

Rosita Glavina - Dip. Fisica UniTS Rosita.Glavina at ts.infn.it
Fri Feb 2 12:02:34 CET 2018

We are pleased to announce the next seminars @ DF-Theory Section UniTs:

Antoine Tilloy
Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics, Munich, Germany

"Ghirardi -Rimini-Weber Model with massive flashes"

Tuesday, 6 February 2018 - 3:00 pm
Room 204, 2nd floor, Leonardo Building
Strada Costiera, 11

ABSTRACT:
Huge amounts of efforts are currently invested in trying to quantize
gravity.
But are we really sure that gravity should be quantum at the fundamental
level?
Is it possible, even only in principle, to have a hybrid theory where
quantum matter
and a classical space-time coexist? Historically, semiclassical gravity
has been
dismissed for various more or less convincing reasons. However, I will show
a simple toy model that bypasses the historical no go arguments and thus
makes the case that semiclassical gravity should be reconsidered.
During my talk, I will recall the usual arguments for quantum gravity.
I will then introduce the Ghirardi-Rimini-Weber collapse model, the
simplest
collapse model most of you probably know. I will then explain how gravity
can be implemented in this model in a way that would be impossible in
orthodox
quantum theory. I will finally discuss the predictions of such a hybrid
theory.

The flyer can be downloaded at
https://df.units.it/sites/df.units.it/files/locandina%20seminario%20Tilloy%2006feb18.pdf

Antoine Tilloy
Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics, Munich, Germany

"Interacting quantum field theories as relativistic statistical field
theories of local beables"

Thursday, 8 February 2018 - 3:00 pm
Room 204, 2nd floor, Leonardo Building, Strada Costiera, 11

ABSTRACT:
I will present a generic method to construct collapse models with good
symmetry properties starting from interacting quantum field theories.
A peculiar feature of the resulting models is that they can be made
empirically equivalent to the Standard Model supplemented with
the Copenhaguen interpretation. Hence, whilst it solves the problem
of finding relativistic collapse models, this approach hints at a
reconsideration
of the whole collapse program: as an interpretation or reformulation of QFT
rather than as an extension making different predictions.

The flyer can be downloaded at
https://df.units.it/sites/df.units.it/files/locandina%20seminario%20Tilloy%2008feb18.pdf