SP Seminar @SISSA Via Bonomea 265, Tuesday 6 February at 11 am - G. LANDI

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Feb 1 17:04:44 CET 2018

REMINDER

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

Tuesday 6 February at 11:00 a.m.
SISSA Via Bonomea 265, Room 128

Speaker: G. Landi (University of Sao Paulo, Brazil)

Title: Measures of Irreversibility in Quantum Phase Space

Abstract:
Irreversibility, which is usually quantified by the entropy production,
is one of the most fundamental concepts in thermodynamics, with
deep scientific and technological consequences. It is also an emergent
concept, that stems from the complex interactions between a system
and its environment. However, as will be discussed in this talk, the
standard theory of entropy production breaks down in the quantum case,
in particular in the limit of zero temperature. Motivated by this, I will
present recent results which overcome these difficulties using the idea
of phase space entropy measures for bosonic systems. As I will show,
our theory not only overcomes the zero temperature limitations but also
allows one to extend the results to deal with non-equilibrium reservoirs.
As an application, we will consider squeezed thermal baths, which are
instance of a grand-canonical Generalized Gibbs Ensemble and therefore
allow us to construct an Onsager transport theory, akin to the theory of
thermoelectricity. Finally, I will also discuss how entropy production
emerges
from the perspective of the environment and the system environment
correlations.