QLS Wild Speculation Seminar "What makes life sciences different from physics?" - Tomorrow (Wed. 19 Dec.) at 16h00

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Dec 18 13:49:53 CET 2018

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES - WILD SPECULATION SEMINAR

Wednesday, 19 December 2018 at 16:00,
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, via Beirut 2

Titile:  "What makes life sciences different from physics?"

Abstract:
Why is it that we can describe the physical properties of macroscopic
objects of zillions of degrees of freedom with just a handful of
variables? Why isn't it possible to describe, in general, living systems
(a cell, an organism, an ecology or an economy) in the same way?
This blackboard talk claims to answer these questions (specially the
second one) from a fundamental perspective based on statistical
mechanics and information theory. The format encourages the most
critical attitude from participants from all backgrounds.

After the seminar, you are all warmly invited to share self-organized
refreshments, before the winter break.
If you wish to contribute with food and/or beverage, please let me know
what you plan to bring!

Thanks!

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste,  Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
www.ictp.it/research/qls.aspx
e-mail:qls at ictp.it