CMSP Seminars @ICTP Stasi Wednesday 12 December 4pm - Elia MACALUSO

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Dec 6 14:42:28 CET 2018

ICTP Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Seminar

PLEASE NOTE DAY AND TIME - Wednesday at 4 p.m.

Wednesday 12December at 4:00 p.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

Speaker: Elia MACALUSO
INO-CNR BEC Center, Dept. of Physics, Univ.Trento, Povo (TN)

Title:Anyonic Statistics from Time-of-Flight Measurements

Abstract:
While in three dimensions particles can be classified into bosons
and fermions, according to their statistical properties, this
classification breaks down in two dimensions and particles with
fractional statistics may exist. These exotic objects are called
anyons. Among the systems where anyons naturally appear,
fractional quantum Hall (FQH) systems are perhaps the most
famous. Although the anyonic statistics of the quasihole excitations
of these systems has been predicted more than 30 years ago, no
clear-cut experimental evidence is available. In this context, I will
first review the reasons why particle statistics can be different in
three and two spatial dimensions. Then, I will present our proposal
for the experimental detection of the quasihole anyonic statistics in
an ultracold atomic setup, which, with respect to the previous ones,
has the great advantage of only requiring static measurements
on the FQH cloud [1]. In conclusions, I will briefly mention the
extension of this idea to the case of non-Abelian anyons and to the
lattice analogs of the FQH states.

[1] R. O. Umucalilar, E. Macaluso, T. Comparin, and I. Carusotto,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 230403 (2018).