Fwd: CMSP Seminar Series @ICTP Stasi Seminar Rm Thursday 5 April at 11am - Rex Godby

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Apr 4 09:07:45 CEST 2018

REMINDER

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics

Thursday 5 April at 11:00 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

Speaker:
Rex Godby (Department of Physics, University of York, U.K.)

Title:
Many-Electron Quantum Simulation of Matter: Insight from Exact
Time-Dependent Real-Space Model Systems

Abstract:
The theory of the electronic properties of condensed matter is a major
challenge in many-particle quantum mechanics. The exact solution of
the Schrodinger equation for more than a few interacting electrons is
impossible. Nevertheless, powerful approximation techniques exist,
based on underlying theoretical ideas that are themselves exact, including
density-functional theory and many-body perturbation theory. To improve
the approximations made in the implementation of these theories for
ground-state, spectroscopic and time-dependent properties of many-
electron systems, I will present results using our iDEA code [1], which
allows the exact treatment of electron correlation and localisation for
real-space one-dimensional systems of interacting electrons.

[1] http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~rwg3/idea.html