ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Monday, 2 October, at 16:30 (Isabel RIOS)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Thu Sep 28 16:21:52 CEST 2017

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S 2017

Monday 2, October, at 16.30 hrs.

Isabel RIOS (UFF, Brazil)

Title: Singular baker maps and Lorenz pretzels

Abstract:  We introduce a family of modified baker maps defined in the
square, for which the non wandering set is the entire domain. These maps
are non uniformly hyperbolic in the interior of the square, and have a
dense set of hyperbolic periodic orbits. We use the maps to construct a
flow in dimension three with a "fat" non wandering set (non-empty
interior) with an attached hyperbolic singularity. The flow is inspired
in the construction of the Lorenz geometric attractor.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)