QLS guest seminar - Monday 9 October

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Oct 9 09:50:49 CEST 2017

*QLS  guest seminar  - Monday 9  October *
**at  14:30* *ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, Via Beirut*
*
Title: Modeling vascular tumors

Speaker: Thierry Fredrich -  Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken,
Germany

Abstract:
Tumors appear in various types and affect a huge variety of functional
aspects. We focus on the stage when the cluster of cancerous cells
becomes larger than the average diffusion length of the required
nutrients. At this point the tumor starts to modify the surrounding
vascular structure of healthy tissue which is a complex and not yet
understood process. Since the changes in topology and spatial
arrangement of blood vessels and capillaries affect the distribution of
interstitial fluid, oxygen, etc. this process is of special interest in
order to understand cancer at malignant scales.

We use computer simulations to design artificial blood vessel networks
followed by modeling vascular tumor growth. During this talk I will give
you a brief overview of our model.

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail:qls at ictp.it