Talk by D. Markushevich

Ugo Bruzzo bruzzo at sissa.it
Wed Oct 4 17:17:13 CEST 2017

=========================
SISSA GEOMETRY SEMINARS
=========================

Prof. Dimitri Markushevich (Université de Lille I) will give a talk on

How to prove irrationality of a 3-fold by counting points over finite fields

on Wednesday, October 11th, at 4:30 pm in room 136, SISSA Building A.

Abstract: After a brief survey of known approaches to the proof of irrationality,
I will present a new arithmetic proof of the irrationality of a generic cubic 3-fold,
a result which was originally proved in 1972 by Clemens--Griffiths using
transcendental methods. This is a joint work with Xavier Roulleau.