SP Seminar Tuesday 23 May at 11:00 at SISSA Via Bonomea: Masud Haque

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Mon May 22 10:54:16 CEST 2017

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

Tuesday, 23 May at 11:00 a.m.

SISSA, Via Bonomea, room 138

Speaker: Masud Haque (Maynooth University)

Title: Non-equilibrium dynamics in isolated quantum systems --- the
many-body spectrum

Abstract: Quantum many-body physics has traditionally focused on
equilibrium properties
and low-energy excitations. However, in recent years, motivated by novel
experimental
possibilities, the study of quantum matter far from equilibrium is
emerging as an active and
exciting field of research. In the absence of external mechanisms for
reaching equilibrium,
the behavior of an isolated quantum system poses many new challenges to
our understanding
of quantum matter. I will motivate the study of quantum dynamics in
isolated systems, contrast
with equilibrium physics and dissipative dynamics, and present a few
examples of such
dynamical phenomena. In particular, I will highlight the role and some
properties of the
many-body eigenspectrum.