Next week - 3 Quantitative Life Sciences guest seminars

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue May 9 13:03:48 CEST 2017

*_3 Quantitative Life Sciences Guest Semina__rs:_

*Monday 15 May at 14:30
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, Via Beirut

Title: " Bacterial finite-size effects for population expansion under flow"

Speaker: Federico Toschi, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Abstract:
For organisms living in a liquid ecosystem, flow and flow gradients have
a dual role as they transport nutrient while, at the same time,
dispersing the individuals. In absence of flow and under homogeneous
conditions, the growth of a population towards an empty region is
usually described by a reaction-diffusion equation. The effect of fluid
flow is not yet well understood and the interplay between transport of
individuals and growth opens a wide scenario of possible behaviors. In
this work, we study experimentally the dynamics of non-motile E. coli
bacteria colonies spreading inside rectangular channels, in PDMS
microfluidic devices. By use of a fluorescent microscope we analyze the
dynamics of the population density subjected to different co- and
counter-flow conditions and shear rates. A simple model incorporating
growth, dispersion and drift of finite size beads is able to explain the
experimental findings. This indicates that models based on the
Fisher-Kolmogorov-Petrovsky-Piscounov equation (FKPP) may have to be
supplemented with bacterial finite-size effects in order to be able to
accurately reproduce experimental results for population spatial growth.

A*PPLIED PHYSICS-QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES SPECIAL SEMINAR*
Tuesday 16 May at 11:00
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, Via Beirut

Title: "Digital Epidemiology: Challenges in Data Collection in
Developing Countries"

Speaker: Eiko Yoneki, University of Cambridge

Abstract:
Respiratory and other close-contact infectious diseases, such as TB,
measles and pneumonia, are major killers in much of the developing
world. Understanding how the diseases spread and for identifying how
best to control it can be tackled by modelling the spread diseases.
Although central to the models, few quantitative data are available on
relevant contact patterns, and no study to measure these factors has yet
been attempted in developing countries.
We have originally exploited device connectivity traces from the real
world for modelling social network structure. The initial motivation was
providing delay tolerant networks among smart phones formed by people.
The empirical study of contact networks shares many issues with
network-based epidemiology, and our work has been extended towards
understanding the epidemic spread of infectious diseases. Capturing
human interactions will provide an empirical, quantitative measurement
of social mixing patterns to underpin mathematical models of the spread
of close-contact diseases.
I will describe remote sensing platform to collect human mobility data
using RFID sensors, Raspberry Pis and mobile phones, recording
proximity, to gather information on human interactions in rural and
urban communities in developing countries.

Wednesday 17 May at 15:00
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, Via Beirut

Title: "Extracting information from simple statistical laws in complex
component systems"

Speaker: Andrea Mazzolini, University of Turin

Abstract:
Several complex systems in various fields can be described as component
systems, i.e. sets of objects (genomes, books, or LEGO toys) composed of
elementary components (genes, words, or LEGO bricks). Several emerging
statistical laws regarding the statistics of components  can be
empirically observed in such diverse systems. These laws may be the
consequence of  the underlying architectural constrains, thus in
principle can provide information about the system properties.
Our work  tackles the general questions of what can be learned from
these simple statistical laws about what laws  are a "universal"
property of very different component system and what are instead
specific of the system in analysis, how and if these laws are related to
each other, and what simple stochastic processes can be used to
understand their origins.

In this presentation I will focus on two specific examples. The first
example concerns the "U"-shaped distribution of  shared genes across
genomes, which is central to the current debate in evolutionary
genomics. We show that its characteristic shape can be obtained by a
null model simply based on the empirical heterogeneity of the component
abundances. This implies that the distribution of shared genes is mainly
a statistical consequence of other known system properties. This result
shows that to extract the relevant biological information it is
necessary to build null models. In this way it is possible to take into
account general emerging features and thus extract the systems specific
properties.
The second example considers the growth of the book/object "vocabulary"
(i.e. how many distinct words/components are present) as a function of
its "size" (i.e. the total number of components),  a law known in
linguistics as  Heaps’ law. We focused on how the vocabulary
fluctuations scale with its average value, showing a non-trivial and
general behavior across different systems. Specifically, the standard
deviation grows linearly with the average (Taylor’s law). We have found
that the minimal stochastic growth processes that can reproduce this
scaling belong to a class of models that includes  the Chinese
Restaurant process. This suggests a general rich-gets-richer mechanism
in the innovation dynamics of thus component systems, leading to
interesting system-specific interpretations.

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail:qls at ictp.it