Course on "Introduction to arithmetic of curves and surfaces", by Shehryar Sikanker

Math Group math at ictp.it
Thu Mar 30 13:25:37 CEST 2017

COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT

Friday 7 April at 14:15

VENUE: Lecture room 136 (SISSA)

Shehryar Sikander (ICTP)

Title: INTRODUCTION TO ARITHMETIC OF CURVES AND SURFACES

Short description:

A smooth projective variety defined over a number field has its
associated Hasse-Weil zeta function which encodes all of its arithmetic
information. Fermat's last theorem was proved by Wiles et al. by showing
that the Hasse-Weil zeta function of any elliptic curve defined over the
rational numbers coincides with the L-function of a modular form of
weight two. The million dollar worth Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer
conjecture is concerned with the behavior of the zeroes of such
Hasse-Weil zeta functions. More recently, and perhaps surprisingly,
Hasse-Weil zeta functions of three dimensional Calabi-Yau manifolds have
found applications in the study of black holes in the context of type II
string theory.

In this course we will study a few examples where the Hasse-Weil zeta
functions are well understood. Our list of examples will include the
following:

- Elliptic curves with complex multiplication
- Modular curves
- Hyperelliptic curves over number fields
- Attractive K3 surfaces
- Del Pezzo surfaces over the rational numbers

We will first introduce all of the objects above over the field of
complex numbers, so people interested solely in the complex geometry of
these objects can benefit. After defining Hasse-Weil zeta functions in
general, we will study these zeta functions for the above objects where
a lot of their conjectural properties can be tested. To be more
concrete, we will use the the computer algebra program MAGMA in which a
number of algorithms have been implemented to construct these zeta
functions explicitly. This will allow us to experiment and explore these
zeta functions in a hands on way.

The course will consist of ten lectures, each one hour long. For
students taking the course for credit, the final exam will be in the
form of a thirty minute presentation on a topic of their choice.

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

Tel. no.: +39-040-2240455