CMSP Seminar Series @ICTP Stasi Room: S.BARONI Thursday 30 March at 11:30 a.m.

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Mar 23 15:21:13 CET 2017

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics

Thursday 30 March at 11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

Speaker:
Stefano BARONI (SISSA & DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center, Trieste)

Title:
What I Cannot Compute I Do Not Understand: Fathoming Heat Transport
from the Struggle to Simulate It

Abstract:

The computation of atomic (i.e. non electronic) heat-transport
coefficients from the Green-Kubo theory of linear-response is currently
hampered by two misconceptions. First, the linear-response theory of
heat transport has long been deemed incompatible with modern simulation
techniques based on electronic-structure theory, because the quantum
mechanical heat flux that enters the Green-Kubo formula is inherently
ill defined. Second, it is commonly thought that the application of this
theory would require very long molecular-dynamics simulations, much
longer in fact than the typical heat-flux auto-correlation times one is
required to evaluate. In this talk I will described the efforts done at
SISSA over the past few years to overcome this state of affairs, which
resulted in a methodology allowing us to compute heat transport
coefficients from equilibrium ab-initio molecular dynamics, no less than
in a deeper understanding of the theory of hydrodynamic fluctuations and
their numerical analysis through the statistical theory of stationary
time series.