CMSP Seminar Series @ICTP Stasi ROOM: B. VERMERSCH Thursday 16 March at 11:30

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Mar 10 08:42:36 CET 2017

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics

Thursday 16 March at 11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

Speaker:
Benoit VERMERSCH ( IQOQI, Innsbruck, Austria)

Title:
Quantum Optics of Chiral Networks with Atoms, Photons and Spins

Abstract:

Chiral Networks consist of nodes (for instance two-level atoms), coupled
to chiral waveguides. By chiral coupling we mean an asymmetric coupling
of the nodes to the left and right propagating guided modes. Chiral
networks can also be realized using two-dimensional topological
materials with spins or photons.

Remarkably, the driven dissipative dynamics of the network can be
described by a chiral Master Equation, which predicts steady states in
form of pure states consisting of quantum dimers.

Quantum networks have also applications is the context of Quantum
information. In this talk, I will present two results showing how to
achieve robust Quantum Communication protocols between two nodes of an
imperfect, "dirty", chiral quantum network.

I will first present a model of topologically protected chiral quantum
network, which can be realized with Rydberg atoms, and show how to
achieve Quantum Communication in the presence of defects.

In a second part, I will discuss the effect of noise in Quantum
networks. I will present a new protocol which allows faithful transfer
of quantum states between two distant cavities of a quantum network
connected by a noisy waveguide. This is a result of the linearity of the
overall system (as coupled harmonic oscillators), which allows injected
noise propagating ballistically in the waveguide, and acting on both
cavities to drop out by quantum interference. Our proposed protocol and
quantum optical setups can be realized with state of the art
experimental techniques in both photonic and phononic quantum circuits.

P Lodahl 2017 Nature 541, 473œ480
C Dlaska /et al/ 2017 /Quantum Sci. Technol./ *2* 015001
B Vermersch et al 2017 arXiv:1611.10240 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.10240>