Seminar announcement

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon Mar 6 10:23:08 CET 2017

*Mathematical Physics Seminar*

*Wednesday the 8th of March  2.00-3.00pm Room 005  SISSA main building*
*Speaker: Miguel Onorato*
*Title: The Femi-Pasta-Ulam-Tsingou problem: new developments in the *
*framework of the Wave Turbulence Theory*

Abstract: in the early fifties E. Fermi in collaboration with J. Pasta,
S. Ulam and M. Tsingou studied numerically
a one-dimensional chain of equal masses connected by a weakly nonlinear
spring. One of their goals  was to establish the time scale needed for
the system to reach a thermalized state. However, instead of
thermalization, they observed numerically a recurrence to the initial
condition (this is known as the FPUT-recurrence). This unexpected result
has lead to the development of the modern nonlinear physics (discovery
of solitons, integrability etc). In the present talk, I will consider
the so called β-Fermi-Pasta-Ula system and, using the approach of the
Wave Turbulence Theory based on wave-wave resonant interactions, I will
show that the thermal equilibrium is reached regardless of how small is
the nonlinearity. The prediction on the relaxation time scale in the
weakly nonlinear regime is verified with accurate numerical simulations.