ICTP Mathematics Seminars (Bogdan GEORGIEV) - Wednesday 14 June 2017, starting at 15:00

Math Section math at ictp.it
Thu Jun 8 10:01:18 CEST 2017

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2017

Wednesday 14 June, at 15:00 hrs.

Bogdan Georgiev (MPIM Bonn)

Title:
Some Recent Estimates On Nodal Geometry In The High-Energy Limit

Abstract:
Given a closed manifold, the Laplace operator is known to possess a
discrete spectrum of eigenvalues converging to infinity. We are
interested in properties of the corresponding eigenfunctions as the
eigenvalue becomes large (i.e. the high-energy limit). From a physical
point of view, the eigenfunctions represent stationary states of a free
quantum particle - when properly normalized, they may be interpreted as
the probability density of a particle in the manifold. Various questions
about the geometry of Laplace-eigenfunctions have been studied
thoroughly - for example, distribution and measure of the vanishing
(nodal) set; localization; shape and inner radius of nodal domains, etc.
We present some recent results along these lines - this also includes
joint work with M. Mukherjee.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)