ICTP Mathematics Seminar (in two parts) - Thursday 13 July 2017 at 14:30

Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Jul 11 15:07:56 CEST 2017

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2017

Thursday 13 July, at 14.30 hrs.

Part 1
Time: 14:30 – 15:10

Speaker: Ana Cristina Moreira de Freitas  (Universidade do Porto)

Title: Introduction to extreme value theory for dynamical systems

Abstract: In this talk, we start by presenting some notions of extreme
value theory, namely the notions of extreme value laws and extremal
index, which is a parameter that quantifies the intensity of clustering
of exceedances. Then, we consider discrete time dynamical systems and
stochastic processes arising by evaluating an observable function along
the orbits of such systems. We show the connection between extreme value
laws and hitting time statistics and exploit it both in the absence and
presence of clustering. We associate the occurrence of periodic
phenomena to the existence of an extremal index less than 1.

Part 2
Time: 15:15 – 15:55

Speaker: Jorge Milhazes Freitas (Universidade do Porto)

Title:Rare events point processes and periodicity

Abstract: We consider time series corresponding to the evaluation of
given potential along the orbits of systems with `nice' first return
induced maps. Nice, here, means good memory loss properties. We are
particularly interested in events corresponding to exceedances of high
thresholds, i.e. instants at which the potential reaches abnormally high
values, and, more specifically, when these exceedances have a tendency
to appear in clusters. We will see the consequences of clustering in the
convergence of conveniently normalised point processes that count the
number of exceedances in a certain time frame.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)