CMSP Seminar @ICTP Stasi Room: G. BASKARAN on Thursday 6 July at 11:30 am

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Jul 4 09:13:25 CEST 2017

Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Seminar

Thursday 6 July at 11:30 - L.Stasi Seminar Room

Speaker: G. BASKARAN (The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai, India
and Wilhelm Wien Institute for Theoretical Physics, Univ. of
Wurzburg,Germany)

"Aromatic Hydrocarbon Route to High Tc Superconductivity"

Abstract:

Field of superconductivity continues to surprise and challenge us with
unanticipated new systems. A recent finding of Meissner signal at 120 K
in K doped para terphenyl (three benzene rings bridged by two C-C bonds)
raises several interesting questions. We will summarize
superconductivity in alkali doped C60, aromatic hydrocarbons and new
potential  high Tc  para terpheny. Focus will be on mechanism of
superconductivity and limits on Tc,  by making use of what  we know
about  key quantum chemistry of aromatic hydrocarbons. Two extreme cases
and possible interplay will be discussed [1]. Superconductivity arising
from RVB physics in i) correlated metallic band made of LUMO orbitals of
hydrocarbons, in the background  of an insulating K ion subsystem and
ii) correlated metallic band of an expanded alkali metal subsystem, in
the background of an insulating hydrocarbon scaffold. [1] G. Baskaran,
arXiv:1702.08153 All are most welcome to attend.
http://indico.ictp.it/event/8263/