Geometry and Physics Seminar, Thursday 26 January, at 14:00, SISSA, Room 136

Math Group math at ictp.it
Tue Jan 24 11:56:01 CET 2017

ICTP-SISSA - GEOMETRY AND PHYSICS SEMINARS 2017

Thursday, 26 January, at 14:00 hrs. SISSA, ROOM 136

Shehryar Sikander (ICTP)

Title: K3 surfaces associated with Teichmueller curves

Abstract:  Teichmueller curves are complex geodesics in the moduli space
of curves with respect to the Kobayashi metric. As such, a Teichmueller
curve in genus 2 moduli space naturally parametrizes a family of Kummer
K3 surfaces. We will discuss the geometry of such a family of K3
surfaces arising from Teichmueller curves, with special emphasis on the
variation of Hodge structure and mirror symmetry. Time permitting, we
will talk about 'attractive' K3 surfaces, which are special fibers of
this family, that provide a fascinating link between the arithmetic
theory of complex multiplication and black holes in type IIB string
theory compactified on the product of a K3 surface with an elliptic
curve (This is ongoing work with Atish Dabholkar (ICTP).

VENUE:  SISSA (room 136)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group