SP Seminar 17.01.2017 at SISSA Via Bonomea: Steve Simon

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Jan 16 11:49:49 CET 2017

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday January 17 - 11:00 a.m.

SISSA, room 128

Speaker: S. Simon (Oxford)

Title: Big Surprises from Small Quantum Hall Droplets

Abstract: We show how spectroscopic experiments on a small Laughlin
droplet of rotating bosons can directly demonstrate Haldane fractional
exclusion statistics of quasihole excitations. In the limit where the
confining potential is very steep we find that the eigenstates have a
Jack polynomial structure, identical to the one-dimensional
Calogero-Sutherland model, and have an energy spectrum extremely
different from the well known Luttinger liquid edge.