CMSP Seminar Series @ICTP Thursday 19 January 11.30 a.m. - L.Stasi Seminar Room - M.SELLITTO

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Jan 13 08:42:57 CET 2017

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics

Thursday 19 January at 11.30 a.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo Building

Mauro SELLITTO
Dept. of Industrial and Information Engineering
Second University of Naples

'Unreasonable Effectiveness of Kinetic Constraints in Glassy Dynamics"

Abstract:
Sometimes the obvious things are the most obscure. One example is the
rigidity of solid bodies which, especially for amorphous materials, we
do not
yet understand. In this talk I will review the Mode-Coupling Theory of
glassy
dynamics (with its Random First Order Transition extension), and show that
it is equivalent to an alternative approach based on the notion, crude and
subtle at once, of kinetic constraint. The emerging universality and the
geometrical interpretation of the unusual dynamical scaling laws observed
near the glass transition will be discussed.