Davide Zucco's seminar

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Wed Feb 22 08:50:54 CET 2017

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Davide Zucco
(Politecnico di Torino)

Title: Optimizing the first Dirichlet eigenvalue of the Laplacian with
an obstacle.

Abstract:
Inside a fixed bounded domain $\Omega$ of the plane, we look for the
best compact connected set $K$, of given perimeter, in order to
maximize the first Dirichlet eigenvalue of the Laplacian
$\lambda_1(\Omega\setminus K)$. We discuss some of the qualitative
properties
of the maximizers, passing toward existence, regularity and geometry.
Then we study the problem in specific domains: disks, rings, and, more
generally, disks with several holes. In these situations, we prove
symmetry and, in some cases non symmetry results, identifying the
explicit solution. We choose to work with the outer Minkowski content as
the “good” notion of perimeter. Therefore, we are led to prove some new
properties for it as its lower semicontinuity with respect to the
Hausdorff convergence and the fact that the outer Minkowski content is
equal to the Hausdorff lower semicontinuous envelope of the classical
perimeter.

Venue: Wednesday 1 March at 11:00 at SISSA, lecture room 133