ICTP Basic Notions Seminar - Filippo Giorgi - Tuesday, 14 March, at 16:00

Math Group math at ictp.it
Tue Feb 21 15:36:57 CET 2017

BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR SERIES   2017

Tuesday, 14 March, at 16:00 hrs.

Filippo Giorgi (ICTP)

title: Global warming: Scientific evidence, attribution and uncertainties

Abstract: In this lecture I will first review the different lines of
evidence that have lead the scientific community to conclude the "Global
warming is unequivocal". Within this context I will also comment on some
misinterpretations of the data that are sometimes reported, for example
in the press. I will then focus on the topic of attribution of the
observed warming trend to the increase of greenhouse gas concentrations
of anthropogenic origin, and how climate models play a crucial role
within this context. Finally, I will review the concept of future
climate prediction (or projection) and the different sources of
uncertainty underlying climate projections, including a discussion of
the topic of uncertainty characterization within the context of the
climate change debate.

VENUE: Budinich Lecture Hall (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

Tel. no.: +39-040-2240455