ICTP BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR (MARCELLO DALMONTE) - Wednesday, 13 December, at 16:00

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Fri Dec 8 10:28:19 CET 2017

BASIC  NOTIONS  SEMINAR  SERIES  2017

Wednesday, 13 December at 16:00 hrs.

Marcello Dalmonte (ICTP)

"Topological matter: why and for what is topology used to describe real
and artificial materials"

Abstract:
In this seminar, I shall give an overview of why and how mathematical
concepts from topology have been pivotal in understanding paradigmatic
phenomena in solid state and atomic systems. Firstly, I will present an
example showing the direct connection between topological invariants -
in particular, the Chern number - and measurable quantities such as
currents, of direct relevance to quantum Hall physics. Secondly, I will
summarize recent exciting results in cold atom physics that have allowed
to bring the aforementioned connection to a deeper level, by directing
accessing both the Chern number and Berry’s curvature in experiments.
Finally, I will discuss the potential of such concepts for future
quantum technologies, and put down some recent challenges at the
interface between math and theoretical physics in the context of the
many-body problem.

VENUE:  Budinich Lecture Hall (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building)