Quantitative Life Sciences Guest Seminar - Tue. 2 May at 17:00

QLS qls at ictp.it
Fri Apr 28 14:51:37 CEST 2017

*Quantitative Life Sciences Guest Seminar *

Tuesday 2 May at 17:00
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, Via Beirut

Title: "Higher-order interactions stabilize the dynamics of ecological
communities"

Speaker: Jacopo Grilli, Department of Ecology and Evolution University
of Chicago, USA

Abstract:
The difficulty of reconciling the staggering biodiversity found in
tropical rainforests with classical theories of resource partitioning
has led ecologists to explore neutral theories of coexistence, in which
all species are assumed to have the same physiological parameters, and
variations in species abundance arise from stochastic fluctuations.
Simple neutral models have led to much progress, for example to the
investigation of spatial and temporal ecological patterns and to the
formulation of sampling models that allow contrasting theory and data.
However, the high sensitivity of neutral models to slight perturbations
of the parameters and the prediction of a strong correlation between a
species’ abundance and its age are considered problematic. Here we
propose a theory of coexistence in which all species have different
physiological rates, and interact with each other through a network of
competitive interactions. We show that our models produce robust
coexistence of many species even when parameters are drawn at random.
Importantly, the dynamical stability of our models is due to
higher-order interactions — interactions involving more than two species
at a time. The existence of higher-order interactions has been debated
in ecology for decades, but their role in shaping ecological communities
is still understudied. Our results show that higher-order interactions
can have dramatic effects on the dynamics of ecological systems. When
set in a stochastic framework, we recover many results from neutral
theory but improve on the relationship between age and abundance.

Web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8222/

You are all most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro