Joint ICTP/SISSA SP Seminar 2 May at 11:00 @ ICTP Stasi Seminar Room - G. BIROLI

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Apr 26 15:10:05 CEST 2017

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR:

TUESDAY, 2 May at 11:00
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

Speaker: Giulio BIROLI (CEA Saclay, Gif-sur-Yvette, France)

Title: Non-Linear Responses, Soft Modes and the True Nature of Glasses

Abstract:

In understanding the nature and the formation of glasses lie questions
that go beyond the physics of such amorphous materials and are relevant
for many branches of science from physics to mathematics, computer
science, and biology. After a general introduction to the field of
glassy systems, I will show that strong non-linear responses to small
perturbations and the proliferation of soft-modes are key signatures of
glassiness. I will explain how we used these features to probe the
nature of the glass transition and to reveal that amorphous solids may
undergo a new kind of phase transition at which standard elasticity
breaks down.