[He-sem] Cosmology Seminar TOMORROW

Andrei Khmelnitsky akhmelni at ictp.it
Wed Apr 19 09:44:33 CEST 2017

*************************************
COSMOLOGY SEMINAR
*************************************

THURSDAY, 20 APRIL 2017, 16:30 p.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room - ICTP Leonardo Bldg.

Eugene A. LIM
(King's College, London)

"How Robust is Inflation to Inhomogenous Initial Conditions?”

Abstract. Inflation solved the cosmic homogeneity problem. But does Inflation itself require a homogenous patch to begin? We investigate this problem in full 3+1 numerical relativity. We show that while large field inflation is very robust to inhomogeneities, small field inflation fails in the presence of sub-dominant gradients. We also show that, for large field inflation, attempts to stop inflation by forming a black hole spacetime will fail as long as the initial hyperslice is roughly flat.