SP Seminar 11.04 at SISSA: Santoro

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Apr 10 09:15:33 CEST 2017

JOINT ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

Tuesday 11 April at 11:00 a.m.

SISSA, Via Bonomea, room 128

Speaker: Giuseppe Santoro (SISSA)

Title: Floquet Topological Insulators? A few warnings

Abstract:
I will give an informal pre-Easter-holiday presentation of recent work,
done
with Lorenzo Privitera (and also with Angelo Russomanno), on
out-of-equilibrium
periodic driving of closed quantum systems (Floquet physics), which have
overlap
with the field of ``topological quantum matter''. I will concentrate on
two examples:
a periodically driven graphene [1] (which leads to the Haldane model
physics)
and Thouless topological adiabatic pumping of a one-dimensional insulator
[3,4,5,6]. During the talk, I will try to stress a few non-equilibrium
aspects that should
be kept in mind when thinking of ``Floquet Topological Insulators":
this, to spell it
out, explains the "warnings" in the title.