[seminari-dip] Seminars @ DF-TS - Tue 11 Apr 15:00 pm - B. Vacchini - 16:30 pm - M. Paternostro

BACCHI STEFANO [PHD0400034] STEFANO.BACCHI at phd.units.it
Fri Apr 7 09:57:06 CEST 2017

We are pleased to announce the two seminars @ DF-Theory Section UniTs:

B. Vacchini
University of Milano, INFN-Milano, Italy

"On the interplay between memory kernels and collisional models"

Tuesday, 11 April 2017 - 3:00 pm
Room 204 2nd floor, ICTP Leonardo Building, Strada Costiera, 11 (TS)

ABSTRACT:
In recent times important progress has been made in the characterization and quantification of the notion of non-Markovianity for quantum dynamical evolutions. We will discuss this issue deriving in particular a large class of non-Markovian quantum dynamical maps arising as solution of memory kernel master equations. In the derivation one essentially builds on a quantization of results in classical probability theory. It appears that operator ordering plays an important role leading to a larger variety of behaviors in the quantum description. We will further show how such dynamics naturally appear within the framework of so-called collisional models.

Flyer can be downloaded here<https://df.units.it/sites/df.units.it/files/LocandinaSeminarioVacchini.pdf>.

M. Paternostro
Queen's University Belfast, U.K.

"When Maxwell daemon is your best friend: an invitation to study stochastic thermodynamics of quantum processes"

Tuesday, 11 April 2017 - 4:30 pm
Room 204 2nd floor, ICTP Leonardo Building, Strada Costiera, 11 (TS)

ABSTRACT:
Thermodynamics is an inherently macroscopic theory that describes energy-exchange processes between a system and its environment, and the extraction of work from a driven system. Its traditional formulation requires processes that are “quasi-static”: at every instant of time, the system should be close to its thermodynamic equilibrium, so that macroscopic thermodynamic quantities (such as pressure, volume, and temperature) could be meaningfully defined. Yet, the current management of microscopic systems evolving according to the theory of quantum mechanics extends up to the viability of observations of individual trajectories. This opens up the possibility to study non-equilibrium processes that are strongly affected by non-classical (i.e. non-thermal) fluctuations. Which are the implications for thermodynamics? Is it still possible to define and study thermodynamic quantities when we address non-equilibrium processes at the quantum level? In this talk I will introduce the field of stochastic thermodynamics of quantum processes, illustrating recent theoretical developments, inspired by an information-theoretic approach, and the experimental progresses that have resulted from them. I will address both theoretical proposals (aimed, for instance, at sharpening the fundamental Landauer principle), and experimental endeavours in NMR, linear optics, optomechanics, and intra-cavity ultra-cold atoms.

Flyer can be downloaded here<https://df.units.it/sites/df.units.it/files/LocandinaSeminarioPaternostro_0.pdf>.

Best regards.

Stefano Bacchi

Stefano Bacchi