CSMP Seminar @ICTP Tuesday 27 September at 14:00 hrs - L.Stasi Seminar Room - Patrizia Vignolo

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Sep 13 15:04:31 CEST 2016

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Seminar

Tuesday 27 September at 14:00 hrs.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor Leonardo building

Patrizia VIGNOLO
INLN, Inst. Non-Lineaire de Nice, Valbonne, France

'Momentum Distribution and Symmetry Characterization of
One-Dimensional Strongly Interacting Fermi Gases'

Abstract:
One dimensional (1D) strongly correlated quantum systems are nowadays
the subject of intense theoretical and experimental activity due to the
incredible experimental control offered by ultra-cold atoms setups. In
such systems, the momentum distribution is a powerful probe of both gas
statistics and of the intertwined effect of interactions between
particles and the effective dimensionality they move in.
A remarkable momentum distribution feature, in all dimensions, is the
presence of universal power-law tails n(k)~k^{-4} for a gas where
interactions can be schematized as contact ones (as it is the case for
most standard cold gases experiments). The weight of such tails, denoted
as Tan's contact, can be put into relation with several many-body
quantities, ranging from the interaction energy to the depletion rate by
inelastic collisions. In this work, we show that such tails also encode
precious information about the permutational symmetry hiding behind the
formation of magnetic-like structures in strongly-interacting
multi-component Fermi gases.

More in details, we combine an exact solution at infinite interactions
and numerical Matrix-Product-State (MPS) simulations at finite
interactions, in order to predict the behavior of the momentum
distribution tails for a mixture of k fermionic components under 1D
harmonic confinement and interacting among each other with completely
SU(k)-symmetric repulsive contact interactions.
We show that both the ground and excited states of the system have a
well defined symmetry, thus indicating magnetic-like properties of the
mixture, and that such information is fully encoded in the Tan's contact.