Quantitative Life Sciences guest seminar - Tuesday 18 October at 11:00

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Oct 17 09:23:44 CEST 2016

*Quantitative Life Sciences Guest Seminar*

Tuesday, 18 October 2015, 11:00 a.m.
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building

Luca Bortolussi (Department of Mathematics and Geosciences, University
of Trieste)

"Statistical Learning and the Analysis of Stochastic Models"

Abstract:
In this seminar I will present recent work on the use of statistical
learning tools for the analysis of stochastic dynamic model of complex
systems, biological ones in primis. Statistical learning offers powerful
tools to manage uncertainty, particularly in model parameters.
Statistical learning methods, combined with model simulations, can be
used to estimate efficiently the probability of observing a given
behaviour as a function of model parameters. This can be turned into a
jackknife method to perform several tasks: optimise likelihoods
efficiently, doing parameter synthesis, design, and control. At the same
time, statistical learning provides novel ways to look into model
abstraction, something we called statistical correction maps.  In this
talk, I will give an overview of these ideas, focussing on some aspects
with more detail.

Web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8051/

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste,  Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
e-mail:qls at ictp.it