Talk by Laetitia Gauvin at SISSA om Friday 18 November, 2:00pm

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Nov 15 15:30:24 CET 2016

Dear all,
I am pleased to announce a talk by Laetitia Gauvin ( Data Science
Laboratory, ISI Foundation, Turin) to be held at SISSA on Friday 18
November at 2:00pm in Room 5

Title: "Tensor decomposition for the analysis of temporal networks"

Abstract:
In this talk I will describe machine learning techniques based on tensor
factorization to study temporal networks such as contact networks.
Temporal networks are highly relevant in many fields of science, as they
can be used to represent a great variety of systems in nature such as
communication, social, infrastructural or neural networks. Considering
the temporal dimension of these networks allows us to understand better
and predict complex phenomena, by taking into account both the fact that
the network edges are not continuously active and the potential relation
between the spatial and temporal dimensions. A fundamental challenge in
this area is the definition of mathematical models and tools apt to
capture topological and dynamical characteristics and to reproduce
properties observed on the real dynamics of networks.
I will here present techniques we have developed based on tensor
factorization, that detect groups of links in networks that have
correlated activities. I will first focus on the analysis of the
topological structures that characterize time-varying networks, such as
network communities (densely connected group of nodes). In particular, I
will show how we can use tensor factorization to detect anomalies in
temporal networks. I will then present a study on the interplay between
the structures of time-varying networks and the dynamic processes
unfolding over them, using the specific case of disease spreading. I
will finally extend the framework of standard tensor factorization to
infer missing data from a partial dataset and show how it enables us to
reproduce the output of a dynamical process on the full temporal network.

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste,  Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
e-mail: qls at ictp.it