Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - Monday, 21 November 2016, at 16:00

Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Nov 14 10:30:35 CET 2016

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2016

Monday, 21 November, at 16.00 hrs.

Kiyokazu Nagatomo(Osaka University)

Title:
Curiosity at 164/5 and 236/7

Abstract:
I would not really like to tell you the meaning of the two rational
numbers in the title, I would rather like to keep them mysterious until
the occasion of my talk. However, I must give some ingredients of my
talk, otherwise you might not come to the seminar, maybe.
One of the main ingredients is conformal field theories. As you may
know, conformal field theories involve many mathematical aspects, for
instance, vertex operator algebras, moduli spaces of algebraic curves,
modular forms, linear differential equations with regular singularities,
and so on. In my research on classifying rational conformal field
theories, these two numbers appeared naturally. On my way to deal with
these numbers, I needed the notion of modular tensor categories which
include the concepts of quantum dimensions and global dimensions.
What I did, and will explain in this talk, is that I first find
solutions of linear differential equations with regular singularities
whose spaces of solutions are invariant under the slash 0 action, and
get the exact form of S-matrices corresponding to the S-transformation.
Then the theory of modular tensor categories allows us to compute
quantum dimensions and then global dimensions. By contrast, the theory
of vertex operator algebra gives us different global dimensions, which
means such conformal field theories do not exist.
Because I use many mathematical tools including modular forms on the
congruence groups (which you know very well), I decided to use slides to
give you enough information and make the talk self-contained. In fact,
every notion which appears in my talk will be explained. A prior
knowledge is not required.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)