Mathematics Colloquia at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Fri Nov 11 08:49:18 CET 2016

Dear all,
the next mathematics colloquia will take place at SISSA main building on

*Tuesday the 15th  of November,  4.00pm,  room 5*

Speaker: Boris L. Feign, Department of Mathematics of  Higher School of
Economics, Moscow, Russia

Title: Toroidal algebras, W- algebras and geometry

Abstract:  in  this talk I will explain the definition of shuffle
algebras. Construction of shuffle algebras is simple and general.
As a special cases we get  affine quantum groups, Sklyanin algebras,
toroidal algebras and, in the limit, vertex operator algebras.
Sometimes  in the limit we have familiar conformal theories  related
with W-algebras. I will  present several examples  and applications.
Most popular applications  are based on the fact that toroidal-like
algebras are acting in the K-theory of modular spaces by
Nakajima-type correspondence.

*Wednesday  the 14th  of December, 4.00pm, room 128 *

Speaker: Daniele Boffi, Professor of Numerical Analysis,  Dipartimento
di Matematica "F. Casorati", Università di Pavia.

Title: Finite element approximation of resonant modes for the Maxwell
cavity problem

Abstract: The resonant modes of time harmonic Maxwell equations can be
identified with the eigensolutions of a
problem represented by a variational formulation in mixed form. In this
talk we review the finite element approximation
of eigenvalue problems arising from partial differential equations. In
particular, it will be shown that the analysis of mixed
problems differs significantly from that of standard Galerkin
formulations. We will show how these results can be applied
to the a priori analysis of Maxwell's eigenvalue problem and we will
give some indications on how the a posteriori analysis can be performed.

Everybody is welcome