Reminder: CalcVar seminar announcement

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Wed Mar 16 14:24:46 CET 2016

CALCVAR SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Prof. Lorenzo Mazzieri
(Università di Trento)

Title: "Splitting principles, monotonicity formulas and geometric
inequalities"

Abstract: The aim of this seminar is to describe, through a couple of
examples coming form classical potential theory and general relativity,
the interplay between some basic Riemannian splitting principles and the
rigidity case of relevant geometric inequalities,
such as the Willmore-Chern inequality for compact hypersurfaces in
Euclidean space or the Riemannian Penrose inequality
for static black holes. As a counterpart of this fact, we will see that,
beside the characterization of the rigidity case, our methods can be
used to produce new monotonicity formulas, which imply in turn the
inequality under consideration in its full generality.
The results presented are obtained in collaboration with V. Agostiniani

Venue: SISSA, Thursday 17 March at 2 pm in lecture room 004