SP Seminar 15.03.2016 @ ICTP: Sebastian DIEHL

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Mar 11 09:13:04 CET 2016

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday 15 March - 11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, 1st floor ICTP Leonardo Building

Sebastian DIEHL
Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Koeln, Germany

Title: Universal Quantum Physics in Driven Open Many-Body Systems

Abstract:

Quantum optics and many-body physics increasingly merge together in
ultracold atomic gases and certain classes of solid state systems. This
gives rise to new non-equilibrium scenarios even in stationary state,
where coherent and dissipative dynamics appear on an equal footing.
Oftentimes however, in the transition from microscopic scales to
macroscopic distances, much of the underlying quantum dynamics is washed
out, and the long distance many-body physics is (semi-)classical.

Here we present two instances which do not follow this generic pattern.
The first addresses the critical dynamics in a driven open system with a
dark state realizable in microcavity arrays. We find it governed by a
new non-equilibrium universality class, characterized by the absence of
decoherence and thermalization. The second focuses on an ensemble of
driven Rydberg atoms, in which the interplay of constrained coherent
quantum dynamics and dissipation leads to a new variant of a
non-equilibrium absorbing state transition beyond the classical paradigm
of directed percolation.