Crash course on contemporary index theory by Paolo Piazza - 11 March

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Fri Mar 4 11:17:12 CET 2016

Dear all,

next Friday, 11 March Prof. Paolo Piazza (Rome, La Sapienza) will give a
crash course of two lectures on the modern developments of Index Theory.
No prerequisites are needed, everyone who is interested is invited to come.

*Abstract*
The goal of these lectures is to explain
a few of the many  developments generated
by the the Atiyah-Singer index theorem.
After a quick introduction to the Atiyah-Singer formula
itself I will pass to families of elliptic operators, to the
associated index bundle and to the the index formula
for its Chern character.
I will then talk about the Connes-Moscovici higher index
formula on Galois coverings, a far reaching generalisation
of the family-index-theorem.
Finally I will talk about the index theorem on manifolds with
boundary and how it can be used in order to define and study
interesting and useful geometric invariants (the rho invariants).

*Timetable*
11:30 -- 13
14:30 -- 16.

- room 134 (SISSA)

With my best regards,

Paolo Antonini

--------
Paolo Antonini
Dipartimento di Matematica e Geoscienze, Università di Trieste,
Via Valerio 12/1– 34127 Trieste.
pantonini at gmail.com <mailto:pantonini at gmail.com>
https://paoloanto.wordpress.com <https://paoloanto.wordpress.com/>