QLS Guest Seminar - Tuesday 7 June - CHANGE OF TIME!

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Thu Jun 2 15:10:28 CEST 2016

Please note CHANGE OF TIME!

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR

Tuesday, 7 June at *11:00*

ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building

Speaker: Sanjay Kumar - Department of Physics, Banaras Hindu University,
Varanasi, India

Title: "Periodically Driven DNA: Theory and Simulations"

Abstract:
We propose a generic model of driven DNA under the influence of an
oscillatory force of amplitude F and frequency /v/ and show the
existence of a
dynamical transition for a chain of finite length. We find that the area
of the hysteresis loop, A_loop , scales with the same exponents as
observed in a
recent study based on a much more detailed model. However, towards the
true thermodynamic limit, the high-frequency scaling regime extends to
lower frequencies for larger chain length L and the system has only one
scaling A_loop ~ ν^-1 F^2 . Expansion of an analytical expression for
A_loop
obtained for the model system in the low-force regime revealed that
there is a new scaling exponent associated with force A_loop ~ ν^-1
F^2.5 , which has been
validated by high-precision numerical calculation. By a combination of
analytical and numerical arguments, we also deduce that for large but finite
L, the exponents are robust and independent of temperature and friction
coefficient.